Sunday, June 18, 2017

Bird distress call





I heard this bird sound in the back yard - it just seemed to go on and on. I couldn't see anything or describe the sound to Google, which sometimes helps me identify species (I nailed down Swainson's thrush the other day, after about a century of wondering what it was). Sounded like pew, pew, pew, pew, pew, pew, pew. . . It was hard to say if the bird was in distress, proclaiming its territory or trying to attract a mate. This video includes perhaps the worst camera work I've ever done, but the audio is very interesting. The sounds accelerate as time goes on until it's a kind of machine-gun bird sound.



3 comments:

  1. Yes, birds can be distress also and If you think your bird is distress, you should visit the animal veterinarian near you to check your pets condition. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out what this is! It's a red squirrel which was perched on the fence, defending its territory from the many black squirrels in the area.

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCJknWCtR5I Not sure if this link will paste, but it's a video I took of a red squirrel on the fence. You could clearly see and hear him making that sound.

    ReplyDelete

Comments